Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Budget Dilemma

I need to set up a new budget. We've budgeted for a while now, and I'm pretty good at it. However, we got to a point where I didn't have time to work on it, we were paying all the bills and extra on our last credit card without me needing to log it all in, we had extra income for 5 months which meant we wouldn't get into any trouble if we kept living our normal lives, so I had stopped budgeting.

I don't actually need to set up a new budget, but I want to. Our lives are settling down, and I think I can do more with our finances if I take a closer look at them. So I want to go back and regroup now.

Besides that, my man's job should be changing sometime within the next 6 months, and I want to be prepared.

So here's my dilemma: the last budget I set up was with an excel spreadsheet on our old desktop computer. I rarely use that computer anymore ... it's an aging dinosaur that needs time to wake up and get moving. I use my laptop 98% of the time (except when my oldest two don't bring their computers from dad's house, and ask to use mine). But I don't have Microsoft Office on my laptop. I got a great deal on the price of this laptop (an HP Presario CQ50, which has worked extremely well), but it didn't come with Office. I was able to use a trial version, but it was just that, a trial. Now I need to purchase it. However, without my handy budget that I previously used, I'm not ready to just plunk down a chunk of money for the software until I have planned and saved for the purchase.

Guess I'm going to have to resort to the dinosaur, plan the purchase, and wait patiently until I have it. Ugh. I hate waiting patiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice when leaving comments! And don't distract your driver.